Sunday, February 3, 2013

Cheese biscuits- Paleo off day recipe

This is a Paleo "off day" recipe. Sunday morning is my "off the rails" breakfast day!

I do not understand why restaurants serve sweet cheese muffins and call them cheese biscuits. For me, biscuits are as much the shape, as they are the ingredients list with a grounding in the concept of a scone. I have long been a fan of the Cooking Light Ham and Cheese Scone recipe. In theory, this is a riff on that biscuit.

What I learned from that recipe is that the shortening in a biscuit does not have to be solid fat- Crisco, coconut oil, etc., but it can be a food with oil, like cheese.



Cheese Biscuits

serves 3-4
heat over to 400* or convection to 390*

2 cups sifted self rising flour (White Lily Brand flour, if you can find it.)
2 ounces of cheddar cheese (I used raw milk cheddar from Organic Valley)
milk
coconut oil to grease the pan

Grease cookie sheet and pre-heat oven.
Add the flour to your mixing bowl and grate the 2 ounces of cheddar into the flour.
Mix.
Add milk... and here is where you become the chef. The humidity in your house, thus your flour, will dictate the amount of milk you need. Also, what you want your biscuits to look like will dictate the amount of milk. I'm lazy and I prefer to make drop biscuits, so I mix in enough milk to that consistence. If I were to roll them out, I would use a bit less milk. If I use too much milk, I have what I call toaster biscuits- as in they are big and flat and can be reheated in the toaster.
Mix milk with flour mixture and drop onto the greased cookie sheet. About 8 biscuits should fit on a quarter sheet pan. The can touch and will rise a bit higher if they do touch.
Bake for 10-15 minutes until browned. Serve hot!

Though not Paleo, this recipe does exclude hydrogenated nut or seed oil and the flour is a low protein/ low gluten flour.

Variations on a theme~ add chopped ham, green onions, or garlic powder to taste!

 
This recipe has not been tested and makes to claims to the accuracy. Please test all recipes before trying them on friends. This is not a Paleo diet recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment